God is Power-
And yet, God is Pliable-
God exists to be shaped.
God is Change. Ch. 3
Lauren's early attempt to express her thoughts about God.
2. "I wonder how many years it will be before we see rain again." Ch. 5
Lauren's comment after the four-day period of rain comes to an end.
3. "The reports say that it makes watching a fire better than sex. I don't know whether the reporters are condemning it or advertising it." Ch. 5
Lauren's comment about the new drug pyro that makes people want to start fires.
4. "And the Destiny of Earthseed is to take root among the stars." Ch. 7
Lauren's thoughts about the ultimate destiny of the human race.
5. "Freedom is dangerous . . . but it's precious too. You can't just throw it away or let it slip away. You can't sell it for bread and pottage." Ch. 11
Reverend Olamina, Lauren's father, after he rejects the idea of moving to the company town of Olivar.
6. "I've read books about them [dogs] being intelligent, loyal pets, but that's all in the past, Dogs now are wild animals who will eat a baby if they can." Ch. 17
Lauren's comment after Travis and Gloria and the baby are attacked by dogs.
7. "There's comfort in realizing that everyone and everything yields to God. There's power in knowing that God can be focused, diverted, shaped by anyone at all." Ch. 18
Lauren explains her ideas to Travis.
8. "What I am now, all that I am now, is Earthseed." Ch. 21
Lauren explains to Bankole her passionate commitment to her new community.
9. "It looked so peaceful, and yet people out there were trying to kill each other, and no doubt succeeding. Strange how normal it's become for us to lie on the ground and listen while nearby, people try to kill each other." Ch. 21
Lauren reflects as she listens to a gun battle and looks out at the trees moving in the evening breeze.
10. "God is Change, and in the end, God does prevail. But we have something to say about the whens and the whys of that end." Ch. 24
Lauren's thoughts after she has led a discussion of Earthseed philosophy.